Monday, August 24, 2009

Farewell Fairfax, Hello Future

It's been two weeks and three days since I first arrived at the Hyatt Fair Lakes in Fairfax, VA. After a day and a half of travel (I might as well have flown around the globe) I finally landed at Dulles and shuttled my luggage to Fairfax before shuttling on to Baltimore for a flight to Buffalo and yet another shuttle to Niagara for the Atlas Experience.

After Niagara, we all returned to Fairfax and the Hyatt to begin the Atlas TTMBA - two weeks of intensive training and a gluttony of food and drink (see previous blog entry for details!). So the Hyatt has been my home for more than two weeks, but I am leaving today.

Most of my friends left Fairfax on Saturday, but I am still here...packing and heading home to begin a crazy, but very exciting few days prior to Kelly's wedding.

I have to say that it hasn't been the same in Fairfax without them. Wandering the hotel and not seeing their friendly faces and not finding a 24/7 buffet of foods waiting to be devoured was rather creepy. It was like I was living in a memory.

Life is such an amazing experience. Who would have thought that I would be dining atop the Watergate condos with friends from all over the world? Who would have thought that I would be meeting incredible young leaders from every corner of the globe? Who would have thought that I would become such good friends with so many of the Atlas staff?

And who would have thought that at 54 I would finally discover exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life? Not even I expected that.

Farewell Fairfax, and hello future.

I have linked arms with my friends and can think of nothing that I could do better or would love more than to continue in the battle for liberty that is being waged throughout the world by small and large think tanks and their courageous leaders.

Life is good, but it should be so much better for so many. I'm in the fight to stay and I have lots of energy, enthusiasm and years left in me.

Shaka shaka bomb!

Richie Havens Freedom Woodstock 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment