Friday, June 25, 2010

There Was A Time...

Old age tempers you. I don't care what anyone says, it does. The battles I would have fought when I was younger don't even cause my right eyebrow to raise anymore.

It's just not worth the effort. At this stage of life, effort is carefully monitored and preserved for those critical moments when you might need it.

Like tonight. I have been working all day but suddenly, around 8 PM, I had the bright idea to clean out my closet. This was one of those critical moments when effort and the energy associated with it were necessary.

At this stage of life we store energy. We need those reserves for life changing, life saving, life altering events. And I don't just mean cleaning out closets, although that effort can be life changing, saving and altering!

No, I'm talking about events that take your (our) breath away. Walking up stairs, for instance. Or taking the dog for a jog. Or babysitting. Carrying in the groceries.

Daily energy zapping events.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but there is some truth in the need to store up reserves for the future, and not just for us old folks. Life isn't always a piece of cake and reserves of faith, hope, trust, optimism, courage, and energy can make all the difference when we are faced with trials and challenging tasks.

Personally, I seem to be storing body weight for a future famine, but that's another post for another day.

There was a time....and there will be more times.

Never doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment