Sunday, December 6, 2009

Joy to the World


If men are, that they might have joy...

...then Joy to the World should be a year-round favorite song!

Actually, it is...did you know that Joy to the World  not originally written as a Christmas Carol?

It was written in 1719 by Isaac Watts to herald the coming of Christ as a resurrected Savior of the world, not as a babe in a manger. And yet, it has become one of the most loved and performed Christmas Carols of our time. I love this song!

I remember singing it at the 1st Lutheran Church in Upland, California. I also remember singing it at the Lutheran Church of the Cross in Upland, California. My Mom played the organ in both of these churches and I remember her adding so much life to the song - it was fun to sing and a celebration in music as she led us all  through her amazing talent.

I remember singing this song in Rim Forest and Lake Arrowhead, at the Lake Arrowhead Ward meetings first held in the transformed mechanics shop on the Rim and then in the beautiful new chapel on the north shore.

I remember singing it with my family when we caroled through our neighborhood in Salt Lake City. I remember singing it as a youth on the back of a sleigh bundled in blankets and snuggled with friends for warmth.

I remember singing in Yucaipa, CA and Cle Elum, Washington. And now I will sing it in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

But mostly, I remember my Mom playing this on our piano at home, every year. I miss her and I love this song.


Joy to the World , the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;

Let every heart prepare Him room,

And Heaven and nature sing,

And Heaven and nature sing,

And Heaven, and Heaven, and nature sing.

 

Joy to the World, the Savior reigns!

Let men their songs employ;

While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains

Repeat the sounding joy,

Repeat the sounding joy,

Repeat, repeat, the sounding joy.


No more let sins and sorrows grow,

Nor thorns infest the ground;

He comes to make His blessings flow

Far as the curse is found,

Far as the curse is found,

Far as, far as, the curse is found.


He rules the world with truth and grace,

And makes the nations prove

The glories of His righteousness,

And wonders of His love,

And wonders of His love,

And wonders, wonders, of His love.

Since we are, that we might have joy - this song should be our alma mater, all year round.

But for now, just en - joy the season!


No comments:

Post a Comment