Sunday, January 31, 2010

Strange Bed Fellows

Now, I don't want to send the wrong message about moi. I do not normally share pillow-talk, but this past week has been amazing. I mean over-the-top, psychedelic, mind-blowing-ly amazing.

I live alone, and my days are hectic and busy and filled with excitement, but bedtime has become my favorite time. It's not that I am sleeping long and sound, it's because John has returned to my life.

Every day I look forward to the evening. Tasks are completed, phone calls are finished, dishes are done, shower is taken, and finally, it's time for bed - time for my alone time with John. John Steinbeck, that is. The author. The wordsmith extraordinaire. Captivating. Exciting. Comforting. He's amazing and a much loved bed fellow.

We've spent the past week together, reacquainting ourselves. After all, it's been a long time.

We started with Of Mice and Men, which for some odd reason I had never read before last week. He lulled me into a trance-like dedication as I read 104 pages straight through. After that I slept like a babe all curled up and cozy.

From there we moved to Cannery Row and I relived life in Monterey through John's eyes. He shared all seven senses with me as we walked across the vacant lot together to Lee Chong's grocery.

Next is Tortilla Flats. And then Travels with Charley... will follow "Flats" and then we may need a nap, which won't be hard since we spend most of our time in bed anyway.

After regrouping and resting, it will be time to open the BIG books, East of Eden and The Grapes of Wrath, and I fully expect John to once again snuggle close and lead me through Salinas and surrounding areas as only he can.

There's nothing like being tucked in and propped up on pillows with a good man; and it looks like John and I will be sharing a bed for quite some time.

And I'm not complaining; he's a silver tongued devil, that John. He can eat crackers in my bed anytime!

And it certainly beats sleeping alone.

Night-ey night.

No comments:

Post a Comment