Friday, January 29, 2010

Lights, Camera....YIKES!

It's almost miraculous how long you can go without ever REALLY looking at yourself in the mirror. John Edwards would certainly not understand this, nor would The Fonz, even my son Kyle might be dubious, but I certainly understand.

I bet I could count on my fingers (I might have to use a few toes too, but not all of them) how many times I have really SEEN myself in the past decade. I mean, let's face it (something I haven't done for awhile), why in the world would I even take a peek, let alone LOOK.

Fifty pounds have somehow attached themselves to the person I THINK I look like. I am not sure how that happens (well, I actually am sure, but what the heck - I can pretend for a few more minutes), but one by one the pounds have arrived...kind of like my kids.

People used to look at me as if I was some kind of superwoman when they found out I have 6 children, "SIX children? How did you manage??!?!" My response has always been the same, "They are great kids, and they came one at a time."

Well, "They are "great" pounds, but they did come one at a time." (Great having an entirely different meaning when talking about pounds and not children)

Anyway, no need to look in the mirror now...I've seen myself in living color, on screen, lights shining on the double chins (my head oddly tilted to accentuate the neck fat), and I am now a believer. And it's scary. YIKES doesn't even begin to cover it.

How in the world did I let FIFTY pounds pile onto my cute little figure? There's just no excuse. I had 7 babies without getting fat. I went through a divorce without getting fat.

It wasn't until I started dating that I gained weight, those menopausal years (decades), those emotional roller coaster days of the past 17 years.

Lemme tell you something - you don't want to go on TV when you are 50 lbs overweight, not if you are going to watch yourself, that is. Not if you ever want to face the public again. Nope, it's just not a good idea, unless of course, you are at your wits end and really needed a motivator to finally get serious about losing weight FAST (in a healthy way, of course).

So, lights, camera....this is New Mexico in Focus....uhmmm, no thank you. Not for a few more months.

I'm taking a sabbatical. Fame is exhausting.

I have something else to focus on. And I probably should buy a mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment