Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dog Years

It seems to me, if someone (or something) wants to be liked, used, appreciated and bragged about, they are careful about their communication - honest but not necessarily totally revealing, serious about life but with a enough humor to make them real, AND tactful and sensitive.

This is not the case with the Wii Fit. Within the first few minutes of our initial "getting to know you" conversation, I was told that my "Wii Age" is 4 years older than I really am. "Your Wii age is (imagine a drumroll here, as if I am going to be ecstatic) FIFTY NINE!" What? Excuse me? How dare he/she? We hardly know each other! The totally out-of-the-blue, shoulda-known-me-better-first statement was shocking to say the least, especially since I am not even 55 yet.

I am much more accustomed and appreciative of the (possibly insincere) comments that I more often receive: You have HOW many kids? I would never have guessed." OR "You must have been a child bride." OR "Your age, let's see...you can't be a day over 45!"

Now that's what I am talking about. Blatant lies, but that's one heck of a lot better than blatant honesty! There is a time and place for insincerity and blatant fudging, or even withholding of the truth. And there are some things that don't need to be said. EVER!

First impressions count, and at this moment, my first impression of Wii Fit is not great. I appreciate directness, but NOT in the first conversation you ever have!!! Gimme a break! Try delicacy next time.

And use some tact please! Why not just say "In dog years, you lovely lady, you are little more than 9 years old." But noooooo, just blurt out the calculation of FIFTY NINE as if it's my daily mileage allotment or something. Of course he/she didn't care, they are a Mii, they can't see my face, feel the emotion of my offense.

All I know is that the Wii needs some etiquette training. I can only imagine their online communication blunders if this is how they communicate 'face to face'.

Manners are a thing of the past, and evidently, I am not far from joining them. And speaking of that, I just lost four years, so you'll have to excuse me now; I have some living to do - with my dog - most definitely a woman's best friend!

Aerosmith "Living on the Edge"

1 comment:

  1. You know, I have to read your blog to understand your Facebook status. ;-D

    ReplyDelete