Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sticky Fingers

Talk about a quick and unexpected look backwards into my youth. Wow. Pomegranates now span nearly 50 years of my memory.

Pomegranates are the new (old) rage. I recently bought Pomegranate juice (POM) - it was expensive and I wasn't the only one buying it. I felt so trendy! Then I snagged a bag of dark chocolate covered pomegranate. Who would have thought? What a wonderful creation! (however, I am still trying to wrap my mind around "real fruit juice pieces". I don't know about you, but until I popped that first dark chocolate covered nugget into my mouth, I can't really remember EVER tasting a "piece" of juice, real or not. Anyway, that is of no consequence, dark chocolate dipped real fruit juice pieces are delicious!

I remember red-stained fingers in the Rialto, CA backyard of my childhood friend, Rhonda Copeland. Her mom wouldn't let us eat that messy fruit (with all those juicy seeds) anywhere in the house, so we would park ourselves on the edge of their back patio and pick away. It was definitely a labor of love.

I loved pomegranates then and I love them now, especially covered in dark chocolate. The cool thing is that your fingers don't get stained red with the dark chocolate coating. However, if you eat enough of them, and lick your fingers, your fingers might become sticky.

I can assure you that a combination of pomegranate and dark chocolate did not cross the mind of a very freckled 11 year old girl with red-stained fingers and lips. Let alone anything even remotely related to "real fruit juice pieces."

But I am older and wiser now, and dark chocolate covered ANYTHING works for me. I am an addict.


I admit it.

My name is Jean and I am a dark chocolate addict.


And I don't plan to participate in any intervention or pay an insane amount of money to participate in a recovery program to solve this supposed problem. I am a dark chocolate addict and proud of it. I like it, actually. I would even buy a bumper sticker for this! The freckles are faded, the red hair is streaked with white and I have almost seen "11 years" five times now. I am not so little anymore either, but some things just don't change. I love pomegranates, plain or covered in dark chocolate.I love dark chocolate, plain or covering just about anything.Life is good, and I have sticky fingers.

1 comment: