Monday, June 8, 2009

Killing Time

Time. It's either on your side or not.

Airlines. They are either on time or not.

Travel. It's usually on your side, unless the airlines are not cooperating.

Delays. Sometimes delays can be on your side, if you know about them in advance and can plan something fun and useful to fill the extra time you suddenly have.

Time. I have always struggled with time. I am either early (which drives me nuts because I am not very good at sitting and waiting, mostly because I have a hard time being still or twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do), or I am late (which drives everyone else nuts, but may be the only reason I can still claim some degree of sanity).

Today, I was on time.

Today, DELTA was late. No, DELTA was delayed. No, DELTA was not going anywhere, at least the plane I was on time for was not going anywhere soon. Or so they said.

I should be on my way to Boston right now on the 6:20 AM flight, but instead, because I live so close to the airport, I have wandered home (this circles back to the inability to sit still and twiddle my thumbs for more than 5 minutes at a time) to do a few chores while I wait for the 8:20 AM flight.

My bag is checked. I am ready to go. DELTA is not.

I have my silly preferences when it comes to airlines, and DELTA used to be one of mine. Today they were bumped way down the list for the following reasons: 1) No flight (I could stop here but there is more), 2) No cute little DELTA paper envelope for all the boarding passes/luggage claim tickets/receipts, 3) $15 charge to check a bag.

I flew Southwest on Saturday, and they were on time, they checked my bag with a smile and they gave me a nice little paper Southwest envelope to keep all of THEIR required paperwork. This was very nice since I have a bottomless purse that often reminds me of the carpet bag Mary Poppins carried around causing me to remove countless items before ever retrieving anything I am looking for, including THEIR paperwork when necessary.

So, what to do with 2 hours of free time between 6 and 8 AM, when you are already showered, dressed and ready to hit your day?

A nap sounded good, since I have about 3 1/2 hours of sleep...but 7:15 AM is a bit early to take a nap. Breakfast is done, I am showered and dressed..."my bags are packed and ready to go, I'm standing here outside your door, I hate to wake you up to say goodbye, but I'm leaving on a jetplane, don't know when I'll be back again"...(wait, no, that's not what I meant to say/sing, or maybe it is!)....so what better thing to do but to sing a little song and write a little blog entry. I guess I could make paper airplanes and fly them in my house, they are more dependable today than DELTA is. I could even make my own little paper envelope and send a prototype to DELTA since they seem to have increased charges and cut costs beyond practicality.

At least now I remember why I am typically right on time or usually a bit late, and very rarely early.

When you're early with nothing do to, it's such a waste of time...and paper. But today wasn't a waste. I got to dance around my house and sing "Leavin on a jet plane....", and that just might have made it all worth it. See, being on time is not all it's cracked up to be. I guess I will forgive DELTA, but I "....don't know when I'll be back again....."

No comments:

Post a Comment