Friday, June 5, 2009

Growing Pains

At almost 55, I am no longer experiencing growing pains of the normal type. My body is no longer stretching to its full height, with bones creaking in the process.

No, the growing pains I am experiencing are different. My kids have grown up and I am in pain! It's a duplicitous pain, one moment it's the feeling of loss because I am now OFFICIALLY an empty nester, but the other moment it's a feeling of joy, because I am now OFFICIALLY an empty nester. It's exhausting, this back and forth stuff. Pain builds character, but this is ridiculous!

Kalen, my youngest, rented her first apartment today. She will be sharing a 3 bedroom, 1 bath duplex with 2 other girls, one of them from Brazil! I am so excited for her!

She is already planning her decorating style, buying kitchen supplies and arranging her furniture in her mind. Tomorrow she moves in.

Tomorrow I am officially without children at home. After 32 years...

Oh no!

Oh yes!

Oh my!

Oh dear! I am not sure what I will do with myself...but something tells me I will figure it out, after all, my kids did.

They grew up. They figured it out. They built their own nests.

I have one too. I have an empty nest.

Ow...I mean, wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment