Sunday, September 20, 2009

Firepit Blues



Last night I celebrated my 55th birthday with friends at the Pueblo Harvest Cafe in Albuquerque. The entertainment on the patio was Hillary Smith, an amazing vocalist who incorporates a collection of genres in her performance, but somehow always undercoats the sound with a bluesy depth that rattles around inside the listener until it settles in for good. I loved every minute of last night's 3 sets and am carrying those soulful sounds with me still.

Following dinner, dancing and Hillary, the plan was for all of us to regroup at my friend Karen's house for a firepit - one of our favorite forms of entertainment. I had arrived at the Cafe still dressed in a skirt since I had come straight from 2 days at the New Mexico Turn Around Conference, so I decided to go home to change before heading to the firepit.

I arrived home, slipped out of the skirt and into my jeans and then realized I was totally exhausted. I had just come off three solid days of events and more importantly, 6 weeks of travel, family and stuff that had drained me. I laid down on my bed for a minute and that was the end of that. I slept from 9:15 PM to 7:15 AM - 10 hours. I don't think I even moved.

I missed the firepit. And my friends. And S'mores. And even "some more".  I am disappointed. I wish I hadn't been so tired.

So today I have the firepit blues, but I did sleep well last night and that's probably a good thing.

Earl Gilliam "Texas Blues Piano"

No comments:

Post a Comment